Re: why are the watchdog drivers blacklisted?

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 04:02:17PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> I am not aware of any other users of /dev/watchdog.

There used to be other programs accessing it, but maybe they all vanished.

> I use the default configuration. The system is broken enough that new

The default configuration in Debian does nothing, not even accessing
/dev/watchdog. So I take it you enabled the device. But then it does exactly
just that, triggering the device, which means you will only get a reset if the
device can't be triggered anymore because e.g the kernel oopsed.

Please keep in mind the OOM killer will only influence watchdog if it happens
to kill it. If you happen to run out of memory though, you can tell watchdog to
test if enough free mem is available.

> TCP connections are established but apparently the running daemons
> cannot fork (e.g. I do not get a SMTP banner).
> I have no way of reproducing the issue.

If you want to test forking ability just enable test-binary test without giving
it a test-binary or use an empty one. This will make watchdog fork() and react
if not possible.

Michael

--
Michael Meskes