Re: why are the watchdog drivers blacklisted?

On Feb 08, Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 04:45:53AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > If the defaults for some drivers are wrong then I can't see why they
> > should not be fixed, but if default configuration parameters are needed
> > then they should be provided by the watchdog package.
> If the watchdog package is the only one using these modules that would be fine.
> But watchdog itself just expects a device to be present and only insmods a
> module if one is manually configured. Other users might use these modules with
> the user space daemon package but they still should get the right
> configuration, don't you think? Or what am I missing.
I am not aware of any other users of /dev/watchdog.

> > (BTW, is there any other watchdog daemon? The watchdog package reliably
> > fails to detect when the system is half-killed by OOM.)
> How about explaing your problem a little bit better and, if it's really a
> failure in watchdog, reporting a bug? What exactly did you do? And how did you
> configure watchdog?
I use the default configuration. The system is broken enough that new
TCP connections are established but apparently the running daemons
cannot fork (e.g. I do not get a SMTP banner).
I have no way of reproducing the issue.

--
ciao,
Marco