Re: why are the watchdog drivers blacklisted?

[Marco d'Itri]
> I maintain the package providing it, but I fear it is the result of
> cargo cult sysadmining.  A driver will not engage the watchdog
> anyway until /dev/watchdog is opened.

If I remember correctly, the reason is that the observed behaviour is
that a driver sometimes will engage the watchdog without /dev/watchdog
is opened, triggered by one driver starting without anyone touching
/dev/watchdog.  This caused the installer to stop after 1 minute.  I
do not remember any more details.  This was discovered a few years
ago, and I hope that crazy driver has been fixed in the mean time.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen