Re: git and quilt

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 04:25:40PM -0600, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
> I read through the git-buildpackage docs and also a HOWTO by Russ
> Allbery [1] regarding git and Debian packaging. I am wondering if those
> who use git to manage their source package development are also using
> the debian/patches mechanism for modifying the upstream tarball.

I personally do (and we do the same thoroughly in a couple of teams I'm
involved with).

The idea is to keep the status stored in debian/patches/, fully
compatible with quilt and v3 source formats. Then, to manipulate patches
you create on the fly a "patch-queue" branch, where you have one commit
per patch. On that branch you do the changes you want (possibly
including rebases) and when you're done you "save" the branch in a new
series of patches to be stored in debian/patches/, throwing away the
"patch-queue" branch.

The tools I use the most to that hand are dom-apply-patches
(debian/patches/ -> patch-queue) and dom-save-patches (patch-queue ->
debian/patches/) from the dh-ocaml package which have been the initial
implementation of the work-flow. Nowadays however, the same idea has
been implemented and generalized in "gbp-pq", from git-buildpackage
itself. Unfortunately the doc is a bit scarce ATM and the manpage of
gbp-pq simply redirects to
https://honk.sigxcpu.org/piki/development/debian_packages_in_git/

If you like it, you can help out in improving the doc :-)

Hope this helps,
Cheers.