Re: git and quilt

hi!

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 04:25:40PM -0600, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
> Allbery [1] regarding git and Debian packaging. I am wondering if those
> who use git to manage their source package development are also using
> the debian/patches mechanism for modifying the upstream tarball.

i use git+gbp+quilt in a number of my packages.  i'm not convinced it's
necessarily the *best* system out there, but it keeps the overhead pretty
simple compared to using more complicated workflows à la topgit, while
still meeting my own requirements for per-release branches etc.

i've heard that gbp has recently introduced some new tools for working
with patch queues, but i haven't had the time to look much more into them.
in the meantime i'm dropping the patches into a quilt series.  backporting
upstream fixes is a bit nicer this way as well, as you can can do stuff
like "git show <commit> | quilt import -P upstream_<commit>.patch -"[1]

	sean

[1] if there are conflicts it's a bit trickier, then i usually resolve
    the cherry-pick, commit it, do the above for the resolved commit, and
    rebase the resolved commit from the history.