Re: correct/ideal way to obtain root from a shell script

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 01:14:35AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le samedi 30 janvier 2010 à 22:58 +0000, Jon Dowland a écrit :
> > I need to run a command as the superuser inside
> > game-data-packager (gdp).  Up until now, I've been
> > hardcoding a sudo invocation and depending on sudo.
>
> Why do you need to run anything as root in a packaging tool?
>
> Aren’t you looking for fakeroot instead?

gdp, by default, invokes dpkg to install the generated .deb
file.

> I’ve been asking to move su-to-root to xdg-utils or
> debianutils, but the situation is still stuck.

That sounds sensible.  Is there anything I can do to help?

It looks like there might need to be a bit more
join-the-dots between su-to-root and d-i's "disable root"
question (to prime $SU_TO_ROOT_SU properly)

--
Jon Dowland