Re: #560778 apt-listchanges: depends on things in optional, which depend on things in extra

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 01:33:32PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:49:46PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > I'd object to this.  I believe apt-listchanges needs to be in the
> > default install.  If that means moving python-support and python-apt to
> > standard as well, that sounds like a pretty cheap price to pay.  So I
> > think this bug should be downgraded and reassigned to ftp.d.o.
>
> The only apparent resulting silliness of all this would be have two
> python runtime helper in standard (-central and -support), but that's
> already the case today on all real-life installations which require a
> handful of Python application. We won't be adding much more by pushing
> that to standard.

Prominent members of the Python teams reached consensus (AFAICS) that
python-support is the better option and there were already proposals to even
include its functionallity in dh_python some day. Maybe we can get rid of
python-central or python-support (or both) some time after the Squeeze release.
I support the suggestion to move python-support and python-apt to standard.

Regards
Jan

--
Jan Dittberner - Debian Developer