Re: Is tabular data in binary format acceptable for Debian ?

Charles Plessy a écrit :
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to ask on this list a question I asked to the FTP team last
> December, and for which I have not received answer yet.
>
> Is tabular data in a binary format that can be read, written, modified and
> exported using free software acceptable for Debian, or shall we contact the
> upstream author to check if he used an intermediate format (be it text, or
> binary like .odt or .xls) and require the addition of this file to the source,
> or shall we provide a text export?

I had a question similar to that for a program which comes bounded with
a trained neural network. There are files with raw weights. It is
possible to retrain on build the program, but it would take a very long
time, and the resulting network wouldn't even be the same. What is the
"source" in this case? I do not see what "editing" means in this context.

--
Jean-Christophe Dubacq