Re: Is tabular data in binary format acceptable for Debian ?

2010/1/20 Jean-Christophe Dubacq <jcdubacq1@free.fr>:
> Charles Plessy a écrit :
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I would like to ask on this list a question I asked to the FTP team last
>> December, and for which I have not received answer yet.
>>
>> Is tabular data in a binary format that can be read, written, modified and
>> exported using free software acceptable for Debian, or shall we contact the
>> upstream author to check if he used an intermediate format (be it text, or
>> binary like .odt or .xls) and require the addition of this file to the source,
>> or shall we provide a text export?
>
> I had a question similar to that for a program which comes bounded with
> a trained neural network. There are files with raw weights. It is
> possible to retrain on build the program, but it would take a very long
> time, and the resulting network wouldn't even be the same. What is the
> "source" in this case? I do not see what "editing" means in this context.

Oh yeah, I remember that thread =) was quite interesting.

If you are not sure do not make assumptions...... and that's what
ftpmasters did.

As for that neural network stuff do it in post-install scripts =) make
the users happy as for why dpkg is using all cpu cores forever on that
package. *just kidding*

--
With best regards

Dmitrijs Ledkovs (for short Dima),