Re: desktop-command-not-in-package: link to an arch-dependent package in a arch-independent package

Ralf Treinen <treinen@free.fr> writes:

> For me solution 1 is also justified when putting the .desktop file into
> the arch-dependent package. Since the arch-dependent package depends on
> the common package lintian shouldn't complain, otherwise a bug report
> against lintian might be in order.

I think it's mildly better to keep the *.desktop file with the binary.
It's not large, and that avoids problems if the binary package is removed
and the data package isn't for some reason.

That being said, that's not why Lintian is warning.  Lintian is warning
because structural limitations in Lintian don't give it any way of doing
cross-package queries.  In other words, while it's checking the binary
package, it has no idea what's in the data package.  There are multiple
open bugs about this, but it will require a significant rearchitecture to
address it (even in those cases where it can be addressed, which it can't
always).