Re: desktop-command-not-in-package: link to an arch-dependent package in a arch-independent package

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 03:15:30PM +0100, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 10.01.2010, 14:30 +0100 schrieb Xavier Roche:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > How to deal with a desktop-command-not-in-package lintian warning when a
> > .desktop file in a "common" package B references a binary in package A ?
> >
> > Typically the package A used to contain static/arch-independent data
> > which was splitted to a B "common" package to comply with debian
> > packaging rules (to limit the size of architecture-dependent packages).
> >
> > Solution 1: consider the warning a false positive and ignore it
> > Solution 2: pull back the destop command in the arch-dependent package
>
> Solution 2 is the correct answer.

For me solution 1 is also justified when putting the .desktop file into
the arch-dependent package. Since the arch-dependent package depends
on the common package lintian shouldn't complain, otherwise a
bug report against lintian might be in order.

> First I thought it would be a strange warning, but then I understood it.
> Imagine that you install only the data package B, which contains the
> desktop file. Then you have a desktop icon, but you cannot launch the
> application.

True, but this is really an exceptional case. I suspect the normal case is
that one installs both packages.

-Ralf.