Re: desktop-command-not-in-package: link to an arch-dependent package in a arch-independent package

Am Sonntag, den 10.01.2010, 14:30 +0100 schrieb Xavier Roche:
> Hi folks,
>
> How to deal with a desktop-command-not-in-package lintian warning when a
> .desktop file in a "common" package B references a binary in package A ?
>
> Typically the package A used to contain static/arch-independent data
> which was splitted to a B "common" package to comply with debian
> packaging rules (to limit the size of architecture-dependent packages).
>
> Solution 1: consider the warning a false positive and ignore it
> Solution 2: pull back the destop command in the arch-dependent package

Solution 2 is the correct answer.

> (I can not reverse the dependencies, because A _do_ depends on data in B.)

First I thought it would be a strange warning, but then I understood it.
Imagine that you install only the data package B, which contains the
desktop file. Then you have a desktop icon, but you cannot launch the
application.

--
Benjamin Drung
Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com) | Debian Maintainer (www.debian.org)