Re: dir-or-file-in-var-www on single-HTML file web "apps" or the like

Hi

Dne Tue, 3 Nov 2009 22:49:42 +0100
Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> napsal(a):

> I'm looking at some of the dir-or-file-in-var-www bugs reported by
> Manoj. A recurrent pattern is that of packages that ship, as their
> static content, a single .html file, usually a form for triggering some
> CGI app. All of them reported to be buggy store that file as
> /var/www/file.html.
>
> Reading §5.3 of the above link, I wonder whether the following solution
> would be appropriate:
>
> - ship under /etc/apache2/conf.d/ a snippet with an Alias dir mapping
>   the package name to a dir containing the static content (a single html
>   file, usually)
> - add an index.html -> file.html symlink in that dir
>
> For the end user, the change would be from accessing the app as
> http://localhost/file.html to accessing it as http://localhost/package/.

It would be indeed change for existing users, but new users will get
all web applications on same expected location. So I'd rather see this
as a benefit in long term.

> Also, can we do anything better---still remaining FHS-compatible---than
> documenting that in a NEWS.Debian entry to ease transition to the new
> URL?

Documenting in NEWS.Debian seems to be appropriate here. As there
probably will be more such changes, some general paragraph in release
notes might be also good idea.