Re: /var/www is depracated, which directory to use?

Tom Feiner <feiner.tom@gmail.com> writes:

> Is /var/cache really such a bad option? I mean, the entire web content
> is re-generated from templates & graphs are re-generated from the rrd
> databases every 5 minutes. So even if someone did delete the
> directory, it'll just be recreated up to 5 minutes later.

Apart from "it feels wrong", no.

>> One could ask via debconf, and suggest /var/www/munin as a default,
>> would that be acceptable?
>
> Users might not know a good answer such a question and will probably
> just stick with the defaults, so suggesting /var/www/munin will just
> keep the current non FHS complaint status quo.

Ok, debconf question with /var/cache/munin/html as default, then.  The
admin then have the option to use /srv/foo/whatever or /var/www/munin.

By debconf, we have a path which we'll add to /etc/munin/munin.conf, and
to the web server configuration snippets.

Should the web configuration be enabled by default?  Assume apache2, and
add configuration to /etc/apache2/conf.d/munin.conf?

--
Stig Sandbeck Mathisen