dir-or-file-in-var-www on single-HTML file web "apps" or the like

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 02:04:29PM +0000, Neil McGovern wrote:
> Have a read of
> http://webapps-common.alioth.debian.org/draft/html/ch-httpd.html

Thanks for the pointer, I gave it a go.

I'm looking at some of the dir-or-file-in-var-www bugs reported by
Manoj. A recurrent pattern is that of packages that ship, as their
static content, a single .html file, usually a form for triggering some
CGI app. All of them reported to be buggy store that file as
/var/www/file.html.

Reading §5.3 of the above link, I wonder whether the following solution
would be appropriate:

- ship under /etc/apache2/conf.d/ a snippet with an Alias dir mapping
  the package name to a dir containing the static content (a single html
  file, usually)
- add an index.html -> file.html symlink in that dir

For the end user, the change would be from accessing the app as
http://localhost/file.html to accessing it as http://localhost/package/.

Would that be appropriate?

Also, can we do anything better---still remaining FHS-compatible---than
documenting that in a NEWS.Debian entry to ease transition to the new
URL?

TIA,
Cheers.