Re: transitioning from a single to split package

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 3:56 AM, gregor herrmann <gregoa@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 07:15:35 +0100, Penny Leach wrote:
>
>> Well, that's logically equivalent to installing multiple versions of the
>> same package.  At the moment,  there's one moodle installation, which has
>> code that lives in /usr/share/moodle, and connects to one database.   This
>> is determined by its one config file.  You can do tricks in the config file
>> to fool Moodle into connecting to different databases, based on some rule
>> (like virtualhost), but I don't see the use case here,
>
> Having several separate moodle instances on one machine seems like a
> normal use case to me.
>
>> and I don't think
>> any other web applications support being installed multiple times, do they?
>
> wordpress for example allows "multiple blog" setups.
>
> mediawiki can at least be tricked into it, and I remember a host with
> one mediawiki instance using postgres and two or three others mysql.

Python/Django/etc based web applications support multiple sites quite
well, usually you have to setup a directory where all the data is kept
before actually using the app. This is usually part of an admin tool
installed in $PATH. It seems that mainly PHP apps have an issue with
this.

--
bye,
pabs