Re: transitioning from a single to split package

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 08:01:20PM -0600, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> First of all, why do you want to split moodle? there's for example phpbb3
> which uses dbconfig and allows multiple different DBMS as backends.

Fair question.  There's also quite a few packages that depend on
dbconfig-common and have split between -mysql and -pgsql - to be honest, we
thought that was the general direction packages were taking that supported
both, but that may have been based on a faulty assumption.

Personally, I think it's tidier, and less ambiguous for users.

> Second, why wouldn't users be allowed to install both, together, the -mysql
> and -pgsql versions?

Well, that's logically equivalent to installing multiple versions of the
same package.  At the moment,  there's one moodle installation, which has
code that lives in /usr/share/moodle, and connects to one database.   This
is determined by its one config file.  You can do tricks in the config file
to fool Moodle into connecting to different databases, based on some rule
(like virtualhost), but I don't see the use case here, and I don't think
any other web applications support being installed multiple times, do they?

Cheers,
Penny

--
Penny Leach | http://mjollnir.org | http://she.geek.nz