Re: Lintian based autorejects

"John H. Robinson, IV" <jaqque@debian.org> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Surely the answer to that question is obvious: fix the bugs Lintian is
>> finding that prevent upload.  They're the equivalent of RC bugs (not
>> precisely the same, but similar), which if you're already doing an NMU
>> are certainly fair game.

> So there are two NMUs for each package? One for the lintian blocker, and
> then finally for the security upload?

Generally you make all RC-level changes to a package at the same time with
one NMU.  This case isn't any different than the case of a package with
multiple RC bugs that you're uploading an NMU for.

In the specific case of security fixes for stable and stable updates, I
believe the ftp team has already said that Lintian won't be used to test
such uploads for obvious reasons.

> What about those packages that have multiple lintian blockers? One NMU
> for each, as they are unrelated, and have the problem that they are all
> blocked due to other outstanding lintian blockers, or have one giant NMU
> that touches various pieces parts?

Looking at the Lintian tags that are being checked, I'm having a hard time
seeing what sort of package would need a "giant" NMU to deal with them,
except maybe for packages with FHS problems.  Most of these tags are one
or two line fixes.  I'm sure you can always ask the ftp team for an
exception in exceptional circumstances.