Re: btrfs

On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 00:01 +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Oct 2009, Martin Ågren <martin.agren@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I believe one of us misread Russell. :) I thought he meant "While I
> > understand that you'll be crapped on if a kernel upload eats data, I
> > think it would be ok to ...". As I read it, he's not expecting them to
> > do anything *more* than they already do, just to relax the protection
> > argument a little when it comes to people who are already aiming at
> > their feet.
>
> Yes.  Also anyone who really wants their data to be safe won't use Unstable
> anyway.
>
> BTRFS is a little different to most kernel features, it is significant (both
> in terms of potential benefits and changes), it has a high profile, and it
> needs a lot of testing.
>
> I would not consider asking the kernel team to do anything special for a
> random device driver or anything else of similar scope.
>
> But it has been pointed out a few times (including a couple of private
> messages) that experimental has what I desire (thanks for the advice
> everyone).  Now I've discovered that firmware-linux-nonfree doesn't seem to
> be available so I can't use my e100 Ethernet ports (which are essential for
> the test machine in question).
[...]

That package is currently called firmware-linux but will be renamed
shortly because we now also package the DFSG-free firmware from the
Linux tree as firmware-linux-free.  (firmware-linux will then become a
metapackage.)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
To err is human; to really foul things up requires a computer.