Re: DEP-5: Please clarify the meaning of "same licence and share copyright holders"

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 10:06:54AM +0200, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 21:11 +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:

> > > This is a matter of opinion, and you and Josselin are free to dislike the DEP5
> > > format. This is why it would be a bad idea to make it mandatory at this stage.
> > > Some other people, myself included, find it more readable. As long as some group
> > > of people are of the same opinion, there is value in standardising it.
>
> > Now compare with
> > http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/w/webkit/current/copyright
>
> You are lucky, webkit is quite large, but has fairly simple copyright
> (most files are copyrighted by just a few people for the same ranges of
> years).
>
> Compare this with another project, which is smaller, but where many
> contributors have submitted new features:
> http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/m/moin/current/copyright

Note that webkit's copyright file groups files per license. Without
that, it would look like yours. Even worse.

And webkit is actually not that big. It was worse when the upstream svn
snapshots included the whole webkit tree (mac, qt, and everything
included). The source is much smaller now it only includes webkitgtk.

I won't try to list copyright attribution on xulrunner, for example.

Mike