Re: DEP-5: Please clarify the meaning of "same licence and share copyright holders"

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 07:56:09PM +0100, Noah Slater wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 11:48:26AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:
> > > That doesn’t hold. Most of my copyright files are much easier to read
> > > than DEP5-like ones.
> >
> > Yes, I agree.  My existing pre-DEP5 copyright files are easier for a
> > human to read than the DEP5 format.
>
> This is a matter of opinion, and you and Josselin are free to dislike the DEP5
> format. This is why it would be a bad idea to make it mandatory at this stage.
> Some other people, myself included, find it more readable. As long as some group
> of people are of the same opinion, there is value in standardising it.

OTOH, the most complex copyright file you have is
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/p/planet-venus/current/copyright
where the format is still applicable.

Now compare with
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/w/webkit/current/copyright

I do agree that the format can be nice. For small packages. Like
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/v/vmfs-tools/current/copyright

But is it too much to ask that it be manageable for all packages ? Or
is the current format so much to your taste that you don't want any kind
of compromise ?

Mike