Re: DEP-5: Please clarify the meaning of "same licence and share copyright holders"

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 08:32:44PM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
> Moreover, these "reasons" are all pretty pointless if the format is not made
> mandatory, which is supposedly not the goal.

Please, stop with this line of argument.

Various people already find value in the format primarily because:

  * It's nice to have a consistent format that's easy edit, and easy to read.

As more and more people start using it we can:

  * Add basic lintian checks if the package uses this format.

  * Add a HTML formating layer for the Debian package page.

  * Add a GUI formatting layer for Synaptic or other package management tools.

  * Add a search and display feature to the package management tools. This would
    obviously only work with packages that follow the format, and so the value of
    this would increase as a function of it's popularity. See Debtags for how
    this kind of thing might work. It's not an all or nothing situation.

  * [INSERT OTHER COOL IDEAS HERE]

Even if these last points never happen, I will still use it because it's nice to
have a clean, consistent format for this file. It helps me when I am editing,
and it helps me when I am reviewing.

Best,