Re: DEP-5: Please clarify the meaning of "same licence and share copyright holders"

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 07:23:52PM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
> Other reasons that are ... ? cf. <[🔎] 1244737135.14878.211.camel@shizuru>

I guess various people have various reasons.

Personally, I consider having debian/copyright be machine-parseable to
be a good thing in general; after all, all the other meta-information is
already machine-parseable.

The data could be used at packages.qa.d.o or packages.d.o to indicate to
developers or users what license a package is under without them having
to download it and/or manually inspect the copyright links (that would
only be feasable for relatively clear-cut copyright situations, like
everything being under GPLv2+ e.g.).

The data could also be used by package managers to sort along licenses
(I wouldn't want to search that way, but maybe some people would like).

Hey, you could even trivially search for packages which are under Joerg
Schilling's copyright, and purge automatically!

That's some reason I could come up with from the top off my head.

Michael