Re: DEP-5: Please clarify the meaning of "same licence and share copyright holders"

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:20:53PM +0200, Arthur de Jong wrote:
> What I now would put in debian/copyright is:
>   Copyright (C) 2006-2008 Person A
>   Copyright (C) 2007-2008 Person B

It depends what you hope to achieve by adding this information.

Ranges of years are not legally recognised for copyright purposes, and the
information is technically incorrect, in so much as Person B might not hold
copyright over some of the files included by the glob.

Does Debian only care about listing copyright holders, as opposed to reproducing
legally meaningful copyright statements? If so, why not just list names here,
excluding the word "Copyright" and excluding the years. At least if this was
made explicit, there would be no further confusion with this field. We would
simply use it to list any people who may hold copyright over any files included
in the glob, over any year ranges that are still legally relevant.

Best,