Re: DEP 5 and directory/file names with spaces

On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 04:13:13PM +0200, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >On Tue, Jun 09 2009, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> >

> >>Some highlights:
> >>
> >>* two carriage return chars (\r)
> >>* one escape char
> >>* 5431 spaces
> >>* 1 double quotes (")
> >>* 98 single quotes (')
> >>* 64 asterisks (*)
> >>* 524 commas
> >>* 3 backslashes
> >>* 51601 percent chars (%)
> >
> >        No newlines, eh? Seems like the one glob per line wins.
>
> Also no tabs, so we can keep horizontal and vertical split of pathnames.
>
> But what glob rule?
> One simple:
> - * as shell glob
> - \\ (3 cases)
> - \* (64 cases)
>
> but how to specify \r (2 cases), \e (one case) and the non-7 bit ASCII (793
> cases)?
> (surely some sequences are non UTF-8 compatible, e.g. 3 0xFE)

Maybe it would be a good idea to contact the upstream of packages with
non-utf8 compatible characters in their filenames and gently suggest a
modified naming policy?

This might apply to some other of the more complicated characters too,
at least the more uncommon ones (for instance, according to the above
statistics there's only one file with a double qute, so it'd make sense
to have it renamed, similarly for the 3 backslashes).

Regards: David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //