Re: DEP 5 and directory/file names with spaces

On Sun, Jun 07, 2009 at 10:44:41PM -0400, Andres Mejia wrote:
> Consider two examples of a Files field, one space-separated, and one
> comma-separated.

> space-separated
>   Files: a\ b c d\ e\ f g.*

> comma-separated
>   Files: a b, c, d e f, g.*

> Which implementation could we reasonably expect most people to understand (to
> include people not knowledgeable with shell escaping)? For example, consider
> what the two fields may mean to a Windows user.

However, this is a contrived example.  Spaces are allowed in filenames, but
are rare in source packages.  Commas are also rare in source packages, but
are also allowed.  So a machine-parseable rendering of a list of files needs
to account for some kind of escaping, regardless of whether you use a comma
or a space as your delimiter.  (The existing parsers for debian/control
files are not a germane precedent; those fields contain lists of package
names, which use a restricted character set which includes neither spaces
nor commas.)

In other words, the real question is: which of these is easier for your
hypothetical user to read?:

 space-separated
   Files: a\ b c d\ e\ f g.*

 comma-separated
   Files: a\,b, c, d\,e\,f, g.*

For my part I'm actually inclined to say that the latter is more readable,
but let's get the rationale right. :)