Re: DEP 5 and directory/file names with spaces

ti, 2009-06-09 kello 00:47 -0700, Steve Langasek kirjoitti:
> Sorry, this is an incorrect test; on closer examination, the upstream
> tarballs aren't unpacked in the lintian lab.  The actual count (from a
> recursive tar ztvf) is
>
>   commas:	1032
>   spaces:	7305
>   total files:	4180690
>
> By number of affected packages, this is:
>
>   commas:	57
>   spaces:	310

For further amusement (I want my shed painted pink, with polkadots in
lime-green), attached please find a) a script to compute frequencies of
bytes in filenaems in all lenny main source packages b) the output of
the script.

I unpacked the source packages using the unpack-debian-sources script in
http://code.liw.fi/extrautils/bzr/trunk/ (bzr branch); I apologize for
not having made a release that includes the script yet.

Some highlights:

* two carriage return chars (\r)
* one escape char
* 5431 spaces
* 1 double quotes (")
* 98 single quotes (')
* 64 asterisks (*)
* 524 commas
* 3 backslashes
* 51601 percent chars (%)

> > This is bikeshedding in the extreme.
>
> But I think this still stands.

I changed my mind. I want black with skulls and crossbones in silver,
plus bunnies in gold.
#!/usr/bin/python

import os
import sys

counts = {}
for top in sys.argv[1:]:
    for dirname, dirnames, basenames in os.walk(top):
	for x in basenames:
	    for c in x:
		counts[c] = counts.get(c, 0) + 1
for c in sorted(counts.keys()):
    print "%3d %s %d" % (ord(c), repr(c), counts[c])
 13 '\r' 2
 27 '\x1b' 1
 32 ' ' 5431
 33 '!' 81