Re: The ‘read -r’ bashism.

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

>> > checkbashisms' output:
>
> I would like to forward this Upstream, but I have no clue of what the problem
> is, and how important it is. I have read ‘https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh’;,
> but found nothing there. Can somebody send me a pointer to some documentation?

My guess (although I am not by any means authoritative on this)
is that this is just saying that writing "read" without supplying
an argument is a bashism.  In bash, "read" by itself reads a line
into a variable named REPLY, but the standard requires a variable
name to be supplied.

Perhaps the fix is as simple as changing
        read
        read REPLY.

You can read about bash's "read" command by typing "help read" at
a bash prompt.  You can read the POSIX standard for the "read"
command at
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/read.html
--
Ben Pfaff