Re: -dbg packages; are they actually useful?

Hi,

> Even Microsoft has a service for downloading symbols files for many core
> windows components on demand (integrated with the crash dump analysis
> tool. (I forget of the chrash dump tool is part of the pre-installed
> debugger or it itis seperate)).

They even go a step further and ask for application vendors to submit the
.pdb files for their software, and forward crash reports.

The biggest problem I see with such a service would be matching the debug
information to the binaries on the user's system. MS use a GUID for each
loadable object AFAIK, which could probably be recreated easily -- still
leaves the problem that in order for the service to be useful, we need
quite a back archive of debug information for older versions.

   Simon