Re: -dbg packages; are they actually useful?

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> I've got to wondering: are the large -dbg packages actually really
> useful to anybody?
>
> Thoughts?

I think they are useful, but probably not for the vast majority of
users. [I've used them on a few dozen occasions.]

What I really wish for is the ability to have a relatively centralized
location where the symbols from every single package ended up that was
separate from the normal mirrors.

The above, coupled with a coredump submission site which would accept
coredumps and automatically generate backtraces for them (or a script
that downloaded the -dbg packages, unpacked them and backtraced the
coredump) would be a great help in debugging some of the relatively
rare segfaults. [We could probably even hook up a coredump handler to
such a script.]

There was some talk that Ubuntu was going to implement such a thing at
the Prague UDS, but I've no clue if it ever came to fruition.

Don Armstrong

--
Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. The first principle
is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to