Re: Support of new source packages in squeeze

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009, Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 01:09:34AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > If you're trying to recreate the tarball from a set of files, this doesn't
> > work as well, but that also has other problems (it doesn't give you a
> > reproducible tarball).  I suspect that if you're storing enough additional
> > metadata to know how to generate a reproducible tarball, you'll have
> > metadata to know how to build it.  For pristine-tar, for example, I'd put
> > each upstream tarball on a separate branch and merge them together, so
> > that pristine-tar has a branch tag to use for commit and checkout.
>
> I might be wrong here but recreating an orig tarball from the data in a
> VCS can always lead to a different tarball than the actually original
> tarball when you unpacked (and commited) it via 'dpkg-source -x' just
> due to the ignore regex for files. If upstream had files in his/her
> tarball that got ignored by dpkg-source then those are not unpacked and
> not commited and thus not repacked in a recreated orig tarball (leading
> at least to different checksums). Or am I wrong with that?

You're wrong because dpkg-source only ignores files during build and not
during unpack. And dpkg-source -b doesn't modify .orig tarballs of course.

The -I ignore applies mainly for native packages were the tarball is
recreated each time. The -i ignore applies only to existing files whose
modifications should not be stored and has no impact on tarball creation.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/