Re: Support of new source packages in squeeze

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 01:09:34AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> If you're trying to recreate the tarball from a set of files, this doesn't
> work as well, but that also has other problems (it doesn't give you a
> reproducible tarball).  I suspect that if you're storing enough additional
> metadata to know how to generate a reproducible tarball, you'll have
> metadata to know how to build it.  For pristine-tar, for example, I'd put
> each upstream tarball on a separate branch and merge them together, so
> that pristine-tar has a branch tag to use for commit and checkout.

I might be wrong here but recreating an orig tarball from the data in a
VCS can always lead to a different tarball than the actually original
tarball when you unpacked (and commited) it via 'dpkg-source -x' just
due to the ignore regex for files. If upstream had files in his/her
tarball that got ignored by dpkg-source then those are not unpacked and
not commited and thus not repacked in a recreated orig tarball (leading
at least to different checksums). Or am I wrong with that?

Hauke