Re: Support of new source packages in squeeze

Jan Hauke Rahm <info@jhr-online.de> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 01:09:34AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> If you're trying to recreate the tarball from a set of files, this doesn't
>> work as well, but that also has other problems (it doesn't give you a
>> reproducible tarball).  I suspect that if you're storing enough additional
>> metadata to know how to generate a reproducible tarball, you'll have
>> metadata to know how to build it.  For pristine-tar, for example, I'd put
>> each upstream tarball on a separate branch and merge them together, so
>> that pristine-tar has a branch tag to use for commit and checkout.
>
> I might be wrong here but recreating an orig tarball from the data in a
> VCS can always lead to a different tarball than the actually original
> tarball when you unpacked (and commited) it via 'dpkg-source -x' just
> due to the ignore regex for files. If upstream had files in his/her
> tarball that got ignored by dpkg-source then those are not unpacked and
> not commited and thus not repacked in a recreated orig tarball (leading
> at least to different checksums). Or am I wrong with that?
>
> Hauke

       pristine-tar - regenerate pristine tarballs
       pristine-gz - regenerate pristine gz files
       pristine-bz2 - regenerate pristine bz2 files

What they do is to store the files from the files in one branch. Then
they generate a tar/gz/bz2 from that and store the delta to the
prisine file in another branch. With both together the pristine file
can be recreated.

MfG
        Goswin