Re: Support of new source packages in squeeze

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009, Luk Claes wrote:
> > as announced earlier during the lenny dev cycle, I would like to switch to
> > the new source package formats ("3.0 (quilt)" and "3.0 (native)") during
> > the squeeze cycle so that we can benefit from the numerous improvements.
> > For this kind of important change, it's best to start early in the release
> > cycle.
>
> What are the benefits of switching every package to the new formats?

We get the desired workflow for NMU an all packages: unpack, hack,
rebuild. The changes are directly stored in
debian/patches/debian-changes-<nmuversion>.

Also given that there are technical differences between the two formats,
it's best that we switch as quickly as possible (and a single dev cycle is
the shortest delay that is achievable IMO). When supporting people,
when working in a team, it's best to be able assume that everybody is using
the latest format which can't be done for a long time if we don't plan to
auto-switch to the new formats.

I hope that's the answer you expected, if you wanted me to comment on the
specific technical advantages of the new formats, I can explain them
but that's not how I understood your question.

> > My goal is not only to accept them on ftp-master but also to update
> > dpkg-source to build new source package automatically. That's why I
> > rebuilt the archives to see what packages would not build with the
> > new format (without fixes). The failures are tracked here:
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=hertzog@debian.org;tag=3.0-quilt-by-default
>
> Did you also test if they produce the same content?

No. Help is welcome if someone want to test that. The main change that
can lead to differences in the content is the fact that many files are
ignored by default (like VCS-related files and temporary files).

> PS: There is no call for Release Goal proposals yet, though I think it
> would be a good idea to have a wiki page which all the info prepared
> already.

Is there a namespace on the wiki for this ? Or shall I create
wiki.d.o/Projects/deb-src-3.0 like I did for the symbols stuff at that
time ?

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/