Re: Support of new source packages in squeeze

Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hello,

Hi

> as announced earlier during the lenny dev cycle, I would like to switch to
> the new source package formats ("3.0 (quilt)" and "3.0 (native)") during
> the squeeze cycle so that we can benefit from the numerous improvements.
> For this kind of important change, it's best to start early in the release
> cycle.

What are the benefits of switching every package to the new formats?

> Lenny's dpkg has all the support for the new source formats so in theory
> we can start using new formats in squeeze except that dak doesn't support
> them. After discussions with ftpmaster, and given their workload, I prepared
> a set of patches (http://lists.debian.org/debian-dak/2009/03/msg00009.html).
> I hope that Joerg will have time to review and test them soon. And
> hopefully, they will quickly be in a state where they can be merged and
> deployed on ftp-master.d.o. The associated bug report is
> http://bugs.debian.org/457345

Right, it's a good idea to test it early in the release cycle and gradually.

> My goal is not only to accept them on ftp-master but also to update
> dpkg-source to build new source package automatically. That's why I
> rebuilt the archives to see what packages would not build with the
> new format (without fixes). The failures are tracked here:
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=hertzog@debian.org;tag=3.0-quilt-by-default

Did you also test if they produce the same content?

Cheers

Luk

PS: There is no call for Release Goal proposals yet, though I think it
would be a good idea to have a wiki page which all the info prepared
already.