Re: xcdroast does no longer work with wodim: Who to blame?

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bernd Schubert <bernd.schubert@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > Since the release of Lenny, I have installed arround 60 Workstaions, but
> > making tararchives of the original installation  and  reinstalled  Lenny
> > from scratch, using the first binary DVD and the rest over Net.
> >
> > Nearly 80% of all Workstations do not work properly.
>
> Maybe you should start to test Debian-Testing from time to time and report
> bugs if something doesn't work for you? Just complaining *after* a release
> isn't really helpful.

Bernd, I (with my DD or upstream developer hat on) understand your sentiment.
But I also (with my consultant or end-user hat on) find it impossible to
implement.

If I was running a large scale IT environment (say 1000+ users) then I would
assign an increasing portion of the help-desk people to run testing as the
release became closer and I would allow some of the user-base to run testing
when the release was really close.  Then after the release I would slowly
increase the number of people running the new release so that bugs could be
identified and fixed.  If a bug hit the 1% of the user-base who were most
adventurous and demanding of new versions then it wouldn't be so bad.

But however I'm not running a large IT environment and I don't have the
resources for such things.  Sometimes I do the upgrade after the release and
just have to deal with some bugs.

That said my results from upgrading to Lenny have been a lot more positive
than Michelle reported.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Main Blog