Re: xcdroast does no longer work with wodim: Who to blame?

On Monday 02 March 2009, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Bernd Schubert <bernd.schubert@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > > Since the release of Lenny, I have installed arround 60 Workstaions,
> > > but making tararchives of the original installation  and  reinstalled
> > >  Lenny from scratch, using the first binary DVD and the rest over Net.
> > >
> > > Nearly 80% of all Workstations do not work properly.
> >
> > Maybe you should start to test Debian-Testing from time to time and
> > report bugs if something doesn't work for you? Just complaining *after* a
> > release isn't really helpful.
>
> Bernd, I (with my DD or upstream developer hat on) understand your
> sentiment. But I also (with my consultant or end-user hat on) find it
> impossible to implement.

You don't have any chroots, virtual machines and you don't run Sid at home?

> If I was running a large scale IT environment (say 1000+ users) then I
> would assign an increasing portion of the help-desk people to run testing
> as the release became closer and I would allow some of the user-base to run
> testing when the release was really close.  Then after the release I would
> slowly increase the number of people running the new release so that bugs
> could be identified and fixed.  If a bug hit the 1% of the user-base who
> were most adventurous and demanding of new versions then it wouldn't be so
> bad.

Well, Michelle upgraded over 50 machines. At university I was admin of of
group of also that number. We had chroots (for old-stable, testing and sid).
Some users sometimes had to use one or another chroot to get some programs
running. Since that also requires the basic libs are working, it is at least a
basic test. On upgrades we always tried to migrate as few as possible
workstations first (of course easy, when you have a diskless environment as we
had/have). So when on the first system not everything runs smoothly we never
would have upgraded the 2nd system.

> But however I'm not running a large IT environment and I don't have the
> resources for such things.  Sometimes I do the upgrade after the release
> and just have to deal with some bugs.

I don't know, maintaining a testing chroot is really simple, since you don't
need to adjust a single configuration file within the chroot. Testing some
software components from time there is also easy then.

Cheers,
Bernd