Re: xcdroast does no longer work with wodim: Who to blame?

On Monday 02 March 2009, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2009-03-02 06:23:26, schrieb Goswin von Brederlow:
> > Since everything seems to be dumping core on your system have you
> > thought about the possibility that it might be your system that is at
> > fault? Such a widespread range of coredumps usualy means one of the
> > core libraries is corrupted on your filesystem or you have faulty
> > ram. Or maybe a root-kit that breaks things?
>
> Since the release of Lenny, I have installed arround 60 Workstaions, but
> making tararchives of the original installation  and  reinstalled  Lenny
> from scratch, using the first binary DVD and the rest over Net.
>
> Nearly 80% of all Workstations do not work properly.

Maybe you should start to test Debian-Testing from time to time and report
bugs if something doesn't work for you? Just complaining *after* a release
isn't really helpful.

> The half of them is without sound (all Creative LABS)
>
> 00:13.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev
> 0a) 00:13.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! Game Port (rev
> 0a)

What exactly is the problem? Kernel related? If so try a more recent kernel
version or an older version and then report a bug.

> which is needed for telephony.  Then I  have  a  couple  of  Dual-Screen
> Workstations with the above card...
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400/G450 (rev
> 82)
>
> xserver-xor-video-mga does not work...  Now I use the framebuffer  which
> is working nicely but I do not know the  performance  differnce  between
> "mga" and 2fbdev".

The mga driver never worked properly without its binary blob if you wanted
more then a single vga connection. Don't know what the situation is now, maybe
matrox doesn't provide a recent binary for Lenny's xorg version. If you want,
go ahead and check yourself on the matrox site.

> While Fvwm was working fine under Sarge and Etch, no it  stoped  working
> correctly.  The first time afte 7 years.

Again, test yourself before a release and write bugs. You are definitely not
an ordinary helpless user, but you make extensive usage of free software. So
the least you can do is to write bug reports.

> Maybe there is a new config option, but curently I have  flying  windows
> arround, I mean, news windows are placed in non-expected places.  I want
> my message boxes ans such back in the center if I do  not  use  explicit
> geometry. But it is going more strange, because my own GTK2+ application
> are placed correctly like the OpenOffice ones...
>
> I have set EWMH to reserve space  for  my  FvwmButton  (Panel)  and  the
> FvwmTaskbar but they are now ignored...
>
> While reading the huge manpages, nothing has changed...

Sorry, no idea, I never liked fvwm. I

> > Given that you only have the core-dumps since Lenny I would suspect
> > something got scrambled during the upgrade. Some bit flipped somewhere.
>
> I was thinking this too, and have tared the broken installation like the
> Etch and Sarge ones and reinstalled the WHOLE thing from scratch.
>
> The error persists.

Go ahead and check your installation with 'debsums'.

Cheers,
Bernd