Re: Override changes standard -> optional

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@debian.org> writes:
> On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 01:02:55PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Oh, sorry, I confused it with a different program.  Hm, ethtool I'd put
>> into the borderline category -- one argument in its favor is that you
>> may need it in order to fix your networking so that you can get
>> somewhere to install more packages.

> Actually, having installed my share of network systems (both hosts and
> switches) I've found that most issues are related to ethernet
> misconfiguration (forced configuration in switch, auto in network card
> or viceversa) and 'ethtool' would be really useful to debug these
> issues.

Yeah, I usually use mii-tool, but this thread has convinced me.  I agree
that ethtool should be upgraded to standard.

I think there should be a bias towards putting in standard small packages
that are useful for figuring out why the network isn't working or fixing
it.  A point of standard IMO is to be a fairly minimal system that can be
used to bootstrap into whatever you want, which makes debugging tools that
would help resolve problems with network package installations
particularly useful.