Re: starting gnome with xephyr in chroot fails

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 19:54:54 +0100
Grammostola Rosea <rosea.grammostola@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried to start Xephyr:
>
> debian-live$  Xephyr :1 -screen 1024x768 -ac
> Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic,
> removing from list!
> Could not init font path
> element /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled, removing from list!
> Could not init font path
> element /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled, removing from list!
> Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,
> removing from list!
> Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi, removing
> from list!
>

> but then in chroot environment:
>
> :/usr/bin# env DISPLAY=:1 gnome-session &
>
> (gnome-session:3729): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C
> library. Using the fallback 'C' locale.
>
> (gnome-session:3729): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :1
> [1] 3729
> [1]+  Exit 1                  env DISPLAY=:1 gnome-session
>

> What could this be?

To the best of my knowledge you can't use just :1 inside a chroot
because that communicates using files in /tmp (unix sockets?)  In any
event you need to allow tcp connections to you X server, get your
xauthorization into the chroot, and use hostname:1.

Regards,

Daniel

BTW such question really ought to be asked on debian-user not
debian-devel.

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore