Re: Override changes standard -> optional

I think a lot of the ones you listed already are priority: standard or
higher.  debian-archive-keyring, less, man-db, manpages, and wget, for
example.  I stopped checking after spot-checking a few; you may want to
filter your list some more.

Here are some I definitely disagree with that jumped out at me.

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> writes:

>  cfengine2

I think that's rather hard to justify as priority: standard.  There are a
lot of other configuration management systems in the world (and IMO much
better ones).

>  fping

The difference between ping and fping is not significant enough to install
both of them as standard.  I'm a big fan of fping, but ping will do for
most non-scripted applications and ping does a bunch of stuff that fping
doesn't.

>  libpam-ssh

Er.  With a Popcon vote of 56?

>  nullidentd

Isn't the ident protocol dead yet?

Here are ones that I agree with:

>  apt-listchanges
>  sudo
>  psmisc
>  rsync
>  tcpdump

Those are all things we install routinely on every system that we build
(except tcpdump, which we'll probably start installing soon, and sudo,
which we only don't use because we use ksu, which most sites won't), and I
have a hard time imagining not having them.