Re: Override changes standard -> optional

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:29:26AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I'm honestly mystified as to why any of the following should be in
> standard, given how obscure what they do seems to be:

> > consolekit
> > gdebi
> > libpam-ck-connector

Going forward, consolekit is the "standard" way to grant local users access
to hardware devices for the duration of their session.  That doesn't imply
that it should be part of standard, but it's not terribly obscure anymore.

> I think installing tcpdump is sufficient; adding ethtool on top of it
> seems like overkill to me.

ethtool doesn't seem particularly related to tcpdump?

> As mentioned before, I think ping and fping have enough overlap that
> having both of them seems pointless.  Similarly, I think we should pick
> *one* traceroute program; if the existing traceroute package isn't
> sufficient, we should *replace* it in standard with mtr-tiny or with
> tcptraceroute, but not add a new package.

I agree, there's no reason we should have multiple tools providing this same
functionality in standard.