Re: quilt 3.0 source format and dpkg-source/dpkg-buildpackage

> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 12:29:48 +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote: It would
> > have been MORE than easy to have bz2 support in 1.0. There is
> > absolutely no reason why it needs a 3.0 just for a different
> > compression.  But that wasnt wanted.

[Julien Cristau]
> By whom?  dpkg maintainers, archive admins, package maintainers?
> tar.bz2 support is the only reason I see for considering 3.0 at this
> point…

Presumably dpkg maintainers.  I've long suspected that the main reason
they chose not to add tar.bz2 to format 1.0 is, if they did, a lot of
us would have no reason to want format 3.0.  Many packagers don't need
multiple tarballs or non-text files, and are quite happy to 'include
/usr/share/quilt/quilt.make' by hand.  We don't find it hard to extract
an NMU diff even if it wasn't posted to the bug as it should be.  It's
hard enough to convince us to want 3.0 even with tar.bz2 support.
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/