Re: quilt 3.0 source format and dpkg-source/dpkg-buildpackage

On Mo, 28 Dez 2009, Iustin Pop wrote:
> Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I use the same workflow,
> git-buildpackage + 3.0 (quilt) and I have no problems so far.

Good for you.

> Are you using --git-export-dir? It seems not, and that you build the
> package in-place.

No, and it is nowhere mentioned on the wiki page.

Mind that git-buildpackage with normal 1.0 source format does NOT pollute
the git repository, so my expectation is that the 3.0 format does the
same, but alas, it doesn't.

> I use this snippet in my gbp.conf:
> [git-buildpackage]
> export-dir = ../build-area/

Thanks, good to know, I have added it now.

> > $ quilt pop -a
> > ... blabla cannot find bla bla...
> > $ git status
> > ...still a pain
>
> Maybe git reset --hard + removal of the .pc directory.

QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches pop -a ; rm -rf .pc

does also the trick ... but it is a pain.

> > $ quilt new
> > ... bummer, there is now ./patches in my git repository
>
> My .quiltrc includes this:
>
>   QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches

That is wrong, because I do other projects where I don't have my
patches in debian/patches ...

Is a DD expected to only use quilt in that mode? Arggg.

> Again, sorry to hear this experience - in my case, after reading the
> wiki page, it was a painless experience. And the new format seems

Well, because you had the gbp.conf stuff already in place, and the .quiltrc,
but nothing of that is mentioned in the Wiki.

> cleaner - no longer quilt-specific stuff in debian/rules, and a nice
> debian.tar.gz instead of a diff.

Beh, I disagree, the 3 different lines in debian/rules are NOT bad
by itself, it shows that *something* is changed. And a nice debian.tar.gz,
what does it give you? Do you look at the files and enjoy their
artistic beauty? I don't care for what they look like, I upload them,
and as long as the tools can work with them, that is fine.

Well, de gustibus non disputandum est.

I will remain with 1.0 until I see a compelling reason

(In fact there is one, including binary files in .debian.tar.gz, but
since I only need that for the TeX Live packages, and svn-buildpackage
is not ready, I am hosed again)

Thanks for your very insightful remarks!!!

Best wishes

Norbert
JAIST, Japan            TU Wien, Austria           Debian TeX Task Force
GOOLE (n.)
The puddle on the bar into which the barman puts your change.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff