Re: quilt 3.0 source format and dpkg-source/dpkg-buildpackage

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 01:38:43 +0100

> > cleaner - no longer quilt-specific stuff in debian/rules, and a nice
> > debian.tar.gz instead of a diff.
>
> Beh, I disagree, the 3 different lines in debian/rules are NOT bad
> by itself, it shows that *something* is changed. And a nice
> debian.tar.gz, what does it give you? Do you look at the files and
> enjoy their artistic beauty? I don't care for what they look like, I
> upload them, and as long as the tools can work with them, that is
> fine.
>
> Well, de gustibus non disputandum est.
>
> I will remain with 1.0 until I see a compelling reason

:-)

I'm keeping at least 2/3rds of my packages on 1.0 too and plan to do so
even after 3.0 is "default". I see no merit in 3.0 for most of my
packages.

3.0 becoming default still cannot require that packages are changed
to 3.0 when the maintainer still uses 1.0 - there are too many changes
within the package for the conversion to be automatic.

> (In fact there is one, including binary files in .debian.tar.gz, but
> since I only need that for the TeX Live packages, and svn-buildpackage
> is not ready, I am hosed again)

svn-buildpackage 0.7.1 can cope with dpkg source format 3.0 - in the
context of using an .orig.tar.bz2 but not (yet) with multiple tarballs.
Have you tried that version with TeX Live? If there are things that
svn-bp (>=0.7.1) doesn't yet do that TeX Live needs, please file bugs so
that I know what to fix. Thanks.

(Personally, I'm not happy with 3.0 either, I see no sufficient benefit
to use it unless the upstream tarball is a .tar.bz2. It's not cleaner,
lsdiff -z is no different to tar -tzf. However, I will do what I can
to allow 3.0 to work within svn-bp for the few packages that may
benefit.)

--

Neil Williams