Re: quilt 3.0 source format and dpkg-source/dpkg-buildpackage

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 01:38:43AM +0100, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Mo, 28 Dez 2009, Iustin Pop wrote:
> > Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I use the same workflow,
> > git-buildpackage + 3.0 (quilt) and I have no problems so far.
>
> Good for you.
>
> > Are you using --git-export-dir? It seems not, and that you build the
> > package in-place.
>
> No, and it is nowhere mentioned on the wiki page.
>
> Mind that git-buildpackage with normal 1.0 source format does NOT pollute
> the git repository, so my expectation is that the 3.0 format does the
> same, but alas, it doesn't.

As others have remarked, the working copy is polluted with 1.0 too, and
you would need to run debian/rules clean to get back to a pristine
state.

> > My .quiltrc includes this:
> >
> >   QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches
>
> That is wrong, because I do other projects where I don't have my
> patches in debian/patches ...
>
> Is a DD expected to only use quilt in that mode? Arggg.

Well, I personally am using it only in that mode (since I only use it
for deb packaging), and for me it's fine. I saw other people saying one
could selectively choose this, which is good.

> > Again, sorry to hear this experience - in my case, after reading the
> > wiki page, it was a painless experience. And the new format seems
>
> Well, because you had the gbp.conf stuff already in place, and the .quiltrc,
> but nothing of that is mentioned in the Wiki.

I will try to get it in the Wiki later this week (unless someone else
beats me to it).

> > cleaner - no longer quilt-specific stuff in debian/rules, and a nice
> > debian.tar.gz instead of a diff.
>
> Beh, I disagree, the 3 different lines in debian/rules are NOT bad
> by itself, it shows that *something* is changed. And a nice debian.tar.gz,
> what does it give you? Do you look at the files and enjoy their
> artistic beauty? I don't care for what they look like, I upload them,
> and as long as the tools can work with them, that is fine.
>
> Well, de gustibus non disputandum est.

Just to clarify: not for my packages, but for other's people packages!
When downloading the sources, it's much easier for me to look at the
debian.tar.gz rather than read the diff and try to understand how would
that apply.

Furthermore, by standardising on quilt patches, I hope that we will move
away from directly patching upstream source in the debian diff.gz, which
I find very sloppy work.

So yes, while I used quilt in my packages before and thus 3.0 (quilt) is
just a small (but welcome) improvement for me, I hope that if most of
the maintainers move to this format, we'll have much cleaner packages
and things like patch-tracker.debian.org will be able to work better
with packages.

regards,
iustin