Re: Update about "3.0 (quilt)" source format

Hi,

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> Maybe I missed something from earlier discussion - but why not rename
> debian/source/patch-header to debian/patches/debian-changes?  (I mean,
> dpkg-source would preserve the header when regenerating the file, like
> quilt does, right?)

No, it currently doesn't preserve the header of the automatic patch. Given
that dpkg-source can remove that file when there are no longer any
(further) upstream changes, I don't consider it as viable place to store
that information.

> And the existence of that patch file should already imply the
> --single-debian-patch flag.

I don't like when the behaviour is implicitely defined. I prefer
the situation where it's explicitely selected by the maintainer
and where it appears in the build log on the line "using options from
debian/source/options: %s".

Also the patch-header is used for all automatic patches (whether or not
--single-debian-patch is used) including for the (not-to-be-used in
Debian) 2.0 format.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog