Re: Has Debian abandoned Python?

On 03/12/09 at 23:55 -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 03 2009, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
>
> > Right now we're working on updating the Debian Python Policy. Once we'll
> > be happy with the first set of patches, we'll send them to debian-python
> > mailing list. I don't see a reason to make it public right now as it's
> > simply not ready. Does it really matter that I'm not preparing it alone?
> > If I would work on it alone would I still be obligated to make
> > everything public?
>
>         Policy decisions, even drafting policy, does not have to be held
>  in deep dark secret;  indeed, policy creation in Debian has usually
>  been held right out in the open.  Going away and crafting what you
>  think is going to be a finished policy and expecting wide adoption of
>  the fait accompli is likely to have surprising outcomes for you.

Were did Piotr say that he expected the updated policy to be immediately
adopted without changes?

I don't have a problem with people drafting stuff privately if it is
more efficient (and it's very probably more efficient there, with all
the social issue involved). BUT people drafting stuff privately should
not expect DDs to blindly and automatically accept their proposal,
and be ready to rewrite it completely during the public discussion.

What I have a problem with, is people _deciding_ stuff privately, and
then announcing changes on d-d-a, expecting them to be accepted without
discussion.

I think that most of us are OK with the "private drafting / public
discussion with lots of changes if necessary" process. But we so much
fear that the "private decision taking / announce on d-d-a" process will
be used again that people ask that all discussions are public.

We really need to trust Piotr (and others) to do the right thing here.