Re: Has Debian abandoned Python?

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 04:58:58PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 04:48:37PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> > So yes, I do have a problem with the way Canonical is taking developer
> > commitment away from Debian, at least if and when maintainers no longer
> > honor their Debian commitments *and* do not allow others to take over the
> > work for Debian.
>
> I do not completely agree that this is Canonical's fault.  IMHO it is
> our fault as well if we do not step in by using the defined ways we have
> (Technical Committee) and sort out the situation for the profit of our
> users.  Allowing *any* maintainer (be it an Ubuntu employee or not) to
> block important packages should not happen and I do not think that we
> should mix up this situation with Ubuntu relations which might or might
> not here one specific reason for the maintainer.  But there could be
> other reasons as well and we should care for the fact in general instead
> of fighting a Debian - Ubuntu flamewar.

(Please correct me where I am wrong)

True. IIUC, From a technical point of view, the Social Contract
demands commitments from contributors with regard to their work for
Debian; and nobody has committed to do X in Debian before they do it
for someone else. So, I believe it'd be unwise to use one's
affiliations outside of Debian as a means to justify one's complaint.

Thanks.

Kumar