Re: Tool suggestions for new formats?

Rodrigo Gallardo <rodrigo@nul-unu.com> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 08:30:40AM +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:
>> >
>> > Just use debdiff, which even supports stuff like comparing a source
>> > format 1.0 against a 3.0.
>>
>> By unpacking ?
>
> Apparently. From debdiff(1):
>
>   If debdiff is passed two source packages (.dsc files) it will
>   compare the contents of the source packages.  If the source packages
>   differ only in Debian revision number (that is, the .orig.tar.gz files
>   are the same in the two .dsc files), then interdiff(1) will be used to
>   compare the two patch files if this program is available on the
>   system, otherwise a diff will be performed between the two source
>   trees.

Technically interdiff can still be used. Esspecially when comparing
3.0 against 3.0. If the orig.tar and orig-component.tar files are the
same it could untar only the debian.tar, diff the debian dir but
interdiff the debian/patches/*

Optimizing the 1.0 vs 3.0 compare so it doesn't unpack the orig.tar is
probably wasted effort. How often does one do that?

MfG
        Goswin